Saturday, June 6, 2015

DNS probe finished no internet problem on Windows 8

One day I fired my laptop with Windows 8.1 on it, connected to home WiFi and started Chrome but no website could be open.
Error was DNS probe finished no internet.

I was able to ping 8.8.8.8 and anything else by IP address, but no hostname could be resolved. Tried setting Google DNS servers, OpenDNS servers, but with same result.

ipconfig /flushdns also didn't do any good.

netsh winsock reset didn't help

Other device on that same WiFi network (my phone) worked just fine. After connecting laptop to cable connection everything worked without any problems. It was clear that problem was wireless related.
Next step was downloading new set of drivers for wireless card. Completely uninstalling and deleting old drivers and installing new (actually it was same version) solved my problem.

One more possible solution I came accross, but I didn't have chance to test because driver reinstallation fixed everything is

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled


No comments:

Post a Comment